Content Audit – 7 Significant Elements You Need to Know
The digital world is becoming very competitive with every passing day. To stand out, you need SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and CRO (Conversion Rate Optimization). These two are the very important elements in content marketing trends 2019 to stay relevant and help in achieving the content marketing target set by a company.
You might be thinking that how you can check that a website is properly optimized? Well, the answer is simple, this will be done through a content audit. A content audit is carried out to evaluate the recommendation that can help you in improving SEO and CRO of a website. It is an effective tool to improvise your content marketing strategy and make the access of your website easy for the audience.
During the process of content audit, some aspects of website you need to see are listed below:
- Content uniqueness and quality.
- Content relevancy
- Smooth User Experience (UX)
- Usage of Internal and External link.
- Duplicate Pages
- Ranking of each page in search engine result pages.
- Traffic elements like click-through rates, publishing dates, time spent on pages, and bounce rate.
Reasons You Need Content Audit
The content audit of your website can be helpful in many ways. Following are the some reasons that can convince you for content audit:
- To ensure that your website is putting its best foot forward for uplifting the organic traffic.
- To ensure that you are having high quality content along with credibility.
- To double your leads by making the user experience smooth.
- To evaluate how you can strengthen your content strategy.
- To make your content free from grammatical errors.
- To remove the useless content and add updated content.
- To figure out the flaws in the content and fix them.
- To ensure that your content is ranking for the right keyword.
- To set and monitor your goals for acquiring website authority.
Elements Covered in Content Audit and Recommendations
Following this, we will discuss about the elements that are included in the content audit along with some recommendation to help you out:
1- Website Organization
The architecture of a website is important. How your website is organized, this matters a lot! In addition to this, a clear hierarchy is also needed from an SEO point of view. It can make a huge impact on the way visitors use your website. The architecture of your website is important just like the content. Both these elements have influence on your audience and user experience.
If your website is not properly managed, then there are chances that a user will comes and leave it immediately. To avoid this, follow the below recommendations.
Recommendations: Some areas of improvement on which you can work are:
- Ensure internal linking is proper. It is taking the user to the important content.
- Visible and smart placement of the navigational features.
- Ensure that homepage and landing pages are taking user to the useful content.
- A visual hierarchy should be present on your website.
- The typography elements like calls-to-action (CTAs), heading and body should have an appropriate size and properly placed across the website.
- Photos embedded should be relevant to the content.
2- Internal Linking
First on the list, we have internal linking. It refers to the hyperlink that we see in a website that take user on other pages of a website. This practice is very important for SEO optimized content writing. With these links your website is indexed with the help of web crawling tools used by Google. This helps Google to have an idea about your website structure. This will determine the value of your content and its relevance with other content. As a result, this relevance and significance let your content to be ranked on search engine.
Recommendations: Your website should have proper internal linking. You need to ensure that your content is interlinked properly so that Google can understand the relevancy during the crawling of your website. SEO audit is the best way to find out how you can utilize your internal links to improve click-through rate and reduce bounce rate. Google Analytics can help you figure out these elements.
Headings and subheadings not only help your user to navigate across but Google also analyzes this information for ranking the web pages. This is important because headings tell about the information being shared.
Recommendations: During the audit, ensure that your headings are proper and properly giving the idea about the content and proper keyword usage. It is needed by both users and crawling tools to see that main heading tells about the topic and subheadings focus on the subtopics on the webpage.
4- Length of Content
Your webpage should have the right amount of content that is considered relevant according to the Google algorithm. In this way, Google can crawl the page properly.
Recommendations: The number of words can vary due to the ever-changing search engines ranking algorithm. Generally, it is recommended that every page should have word count of 600. Pages that have more content will rank higher on the search engine. You might have a question what is optimal content length for SEO? The answer to this question is that the blog word count should be between 1000 to 2000 words.
5- Content Quality
As stated above content length matters and this is not guaranteed that having lengthy content will help you rank higher. You should also focus on creating quality content so that it can be worthy for the reader.
When we talk about the quality of the content, following points are considered:
- Proper usage of grammar without spelling mistake.
- Proper use of relevant keyword but say no to stuffing.
- Pages should be relevant and updated.
In case, if you’re having a problem in doing the SEO content writing, then you can contact experts to avail content writing services.
Recommendations: Remember that quality should be placed on first position as compared to quantity. If your reader is not able to understand your content, then your content is useless even if it’s of 1000 plus words.
You may not give importance to the images but they play a significant role in the performance of your content along with ranking in SERPs. So, you need to optimize your images properly.
Just think about for one second that Google show images in the search result and people are also attracted toward the images. People may not read all your content but they look at the images and if your images are good it can attract the attention of your audience.
Recommendations: During the process of content audit, you need to consider the following:
- Make your file names more searchable and to the point.
- Optimize the size of your images for quick loading.
- Alt text (tag should have relevant keyword in case image do not load).
- Image should be relevant to the content so that visitor can relate it even without reading the content.
The placement of right calls-to-action is important when doing the content audit. For instance, some basic call-to-action are “add to cart”, “click here”, or “buy now’. CTAs are important as they define how you want to engage with your user that leads to conversation rates.
Recommendations: The points included for this element are listed below:
- Ensure that your calls-to-action are clear and easy for the user understanding.
- They should not be conflicting with other CTAs.
- Make your CTAs visible by making them bold, give color, use image or a button, etc.
- Ensure logical placement of your CTAs on the webpages.
The content audit helps you to evaluate the quality and ranking of your website. This process is time consuming and you have to look at many factors. For a productive content audit, get in touch with Marketalist, a reputed and experienced SEO marketing company Boston. The experts of the company will analyze the content and will guide you in proper way to make your SEO content strategies effective.